Family members and supporters gathered to witness His Excellency the Governor John Rankin, CMG, administer oaths of office to Cabinet ministers under a new Unity Government at Government House Thursday evening.
Governor Rankin congratulated the new ministers of Government, calling the evening’s ceremony a solemn and important one.
“I would like to join the Honourable Premier in pledging myself to work together in partnership to improve governance in the Virgin Islands,” Governor Rankin said.
Newly sworn-in Premier and Minister of Finance Dr. the Honourable Natalio Wheatley said he is proud to be appointed Premier.
“I am also proud to lead this National Unity Government that represents the hunger in our community for unification going forward,” Premier Wheatley said, adding, “It is my hope that this day will be remembered as the day that we began a new era of democratic governance in this Territory.”
The full slate of Cabinet members and Junior Ministers under the National Unity Government is:
- Dr. the Honourable Natalio Wheatley, Premier and Minister of Finance
- Honourable Kye Rymer, Deputy Premier and Minister for Transportation, Works and Utilities
- Honourable Marlon Penn, Minister for Health and Social Development
- Honourable Melvin M. Turnbull, Minister for Natural Resources, Labour and Immigration
- Honourable Sharie de Castro, Minister for Education, Culture, Youth Affairs and Sports
- Honourable Alvera Maduro-Caines, Junior Minister for Tourism
- Honourable Shereen Flax-Charles, Junior Minister for Trade and Economic Development
Note: Images included
Caption: Ministers of the National Unity Government took their oaths of office on May 5, 2022 at Government House. (Photo credit: GIS/Ronnielle Frazer)
Caption: Premier Dr. the Honourable Natalio Wheatley signs the oath of office on May 5, 2022 at Government House. (Photo credit: GIS/Ronnielle Frazer)